Friday, December 27, 2013

Nantucket Speed Sketches etc.

This summer I was fortunate to live on Nantucket, a picturesque island off the coast Massachusetts. The history of this tiny island is facinating, and one of the most unique places I've ever been to. I highly encourage at least googling it. After the island's whaling industry collapsed the island became a haven for artists, and it's easy to see why with amazing views, literally,everywhere. In the spirit of those early artist I kept a sketchpad handy most of the summer and tried to work on quickly capturing images as I saw them. It was the first time I have really sketched in real time, but it definitely won't be the last!
Most places I could only sketch for 2 to 3 minutes before the subject moved. It really forces you to quickly capture the most important things first and then work on the details later. (yet another example of life lessons in art).
I was pleasantly surprised how well these quick sketches came out and I now I have some cool souvenirs to remind me of this amazing island.
The Brand Point Lighthouse

Super quick sketches while waiting in the Newark Airport. (thats not creepy, right?)
I think I filled this whole page in 4 minutes 

The Pacific Club building  on Main St.

Monument in the center of Main Street. (until a car blocked my view)

Scene while sitting on Straight Warf. 
Sailing yacht with Brant Point Coast Guard station in the background 

To stave off the Texan Homesick Blues I sketched out the cover of my Texas Monthly Magazine 

Fishermen at "The Creeks"
(fishermen tend to sit still a little longer)




No comments:

Post a Comment